Saturday, August 02, 2008

New Christian


Pride can be a good thing in certain circumstances. I have pride in my school, Clemson. I am glad I went there, it was a blessing and I'm proud of what it stands for. I'm proud of my family and how they have shaped me and taught me about life without even knowing it.

I realized tonight that there is the other side of pride that is so bad. There are so many times when I know the right word to say to someone, but I don't do it. It's this disgusting thing inside me that worries that I might come across as not cool or whatever the word you want to plug in. God puts something in your heart and you fail to deliver. I know God is sovereign and ruler of the whole creation, but I still believe He gives us morsels of words for people. Paul said how will people know unless a preacher goes. How will people know unless they are sent. There is something that can be said about a glass of wine. I'll be the first to say that I've never been drunk in my life. I don't say that to sound like a super Christian, but to follow up with my sinfulness. There is something that a glass of wine does to me. It almost cuts off a layer of pride. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I think it makes me think less of myself and look into others more. I'm not writing this to say everyone go out and have a drink and get wasted, but I am saying that something can be said about getting over yourself and looking into others lives a little more than you look into your own. I'm guilty of selfishness and pride and it sucks. I have definitely learned that when you do step outside of yourself and step into someone's life, God will show you something and teach you. I learned tonight from a guy who is only been a Christian a few short months. I'm prideful in my first thought and thought, what can I teach this guy, in turn, God uses him to teach me something. He's cool like that.

No comments: