Monday, November 13, 2006

A good talk

Lately I have been learning about encouragement and its many forms. I have never really considered myself a great "personal" encourager. I feel like I have the ability to encourage large groups but really fail at encouraging people singular. After becoming a part of a local church, I've met people who are so good at encouragement and I've just learned so much through it. It can come in the form of words directly spoken to encourage or in a good talk. Lee and I talked about 2 hours last night and when I woke up this morning, I thought about how great of a talk it was and how much more encouraged I was. It's funny how when the Lord chooses to teach you something, He just goes for it in multiple cases. For me, He tells me something and then He will confirm it over and over, and over.

I also have just started listening to John MacArthur's Podcast and absolutely love it. He's one of the best teachers I've heard in a while and if you dig great teaching and not so much the "topical" sermons, he is your guy. I feel like when I listen to topical sermons, it seems like you hear the same stuff over and over, just packaged in a different theme or style. Of course there is always debate over that one but I think this sums it up best. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." Expository preaching teaches you how to really understand and open the Bible. I will say that topical type teaching is awesome for a new believer but there comes a point as Peter says that you must move on the meat and get away from the milk. I'm going to head up to the big Winthrop to speak at fca tomorrow, I've got lots of things on my heart, we'll see if the thoughts come out.

No comments: