Thursday, March 10, 2005

Think Twice

In college, a classmate of mine wrote her thesis on the breakdown of marriage. She shared statistics about divorce rates and reasons for failure. Well over 50% of marriages will end in divorce. The US has the worst divorce rate of about any country. Studies also show that couples that "cohabitate" before marriage are 80% more likely to be divorced. Did you hear that? You are already going into it with bad stats against you, then add to that the whole cohabitation thing, you're not going to have a chance.

Why cheat yourself? One of my boyz told me the greatest part of getting married wasn't even the honeymoon, it was the fact that they could go home and be together. Can you have that when you have been living together? Nope. The only thing that will change is the piece of paper that you both sign. It just seems that you are cheating yourself by doing this. If people spent as much time planning for their marriage as they do for their wedding, we might have a strong family structure in the US. Nope, we don't.

I hope this doesn't come off as "I've got this whole thing figured out." Believe me, I don't. The sad part is that divorce is just as bad in the church as it is outside the church, YUCK.

Tommy Nelson has a talk about Solomon and the soldiers that surrounded him. Great article.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I think that "someone" was my husband...and I have to agree with everything you said!

Ju