Monday, February 28, 2005

Filled to the brim

We aren't quite like the Waltons, but we have a big family. My parents always taught us to eat everything on our plates and you shouldn't ever waste anything. I've kept this teaching my entire life. Don't put the food on your plate if you are not going to eat it. Don't take the last biscuit, see if someone else wants it. Sometimes this can get you in trouble. Even when I'm full, I feel like I need to eat everything on my plate. We can put a lot on our plate in this life or we can put very little. There is a balance that exists. Too much and we get sick, not enough and we live a wasted life.

I am sometimes overwhelmed with thoughts of eternity and what it will be like. I wonder if all the deep questions of this life get instantly answered or if the beauty of God silences all and we just fall down in awe. I sometimes can't help but to think about regret. The Bible teaches in Revelation 21:4, "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away." So many believe there will be no tears in Heaven. I never really agreed. I think it's clear that there will be no tears of hurt in heaven but is it possible to have regret? To fully understand Jesus, we will have to remember our sin. I don't think it will be something that bogs us down or makes us sad, but I do think we will remember it for what it really was. Sin. I was reading a book recently that seemed to present the same case. John Piper described it as "regretful joy." To understand grace, we have to understand sin. Luke 7:47 "He who is forgiven much, loves much."

I don't want to have any regrets, as few as possible at least.

Nashville Post to follow :) I'll put something on it Jeeeson.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I often wonder about that also... the traditional thought "no tears".