Sunday, August 01, 2004

A New Episode of Friends

"Are we content in God when no one but God knows that we have done what we ought to have done?" -John Piper

A friend of mine sent this quote to me. I read it three times to really get a grasp on what it means. Ok, so I read it 4 times :). There is a suitcase of meaning packed in there.

Lately I think I'm learning how crappy I really am, to put it in a blunt way. I don't even do the things I know to do, the things I do, I shouldn't do, and I'm learning how much sin is really in me. You think in your spiritual walk, "As I grow, I'll have less sin." I'm not sure if that is true. It seems that the more you grow, the more you realize how far you have to go to be like Jesus. We'll never be Jesus, but we should die trying to be.

On to other news. Today was a relaxing day, I spent most of it piddling around the house, working on my motorcycle, a neverending project. The night was spent eating homemade icecream at some friends' house. It's amazing what it does to you inside to be around Godly people. I didn't say perfect people, I said Godly people. People that genuinely desire to be used by God and genuinely seek Him on a daily basis. When you aren't around a lot of encouraging Christians, and you get the chance to be, I soak it up. I really love people. I love icecream too, but I'm lactose intolerant, can you say, stomach ache? Dude, my stomach will rumble for hours after a nice blizzard from McDonald's! It makes noises that sound like someone is actually talking. It's amazing, doesn't feel amazing though.

Late breaking news: I love being single. I'm not saying that I jump up and down everyday and thank the Lord for allowing me to be single at the age of 24, but I am glad and thankful for the things He has taught me. Being content is probably one of the biggest struggle amongst mature Christians. Nobody likes being single. To be honest, I'd luv to have a girlfriend and eventually a wife, but I'm surely not going to settle for anything less than what I think is God's best for me. You can learn so much by just watching other people and how they date. You can learn a lot by observing girls in group atmospheres, I luv it. You don't have to go on 50 dates a week to see what you like. Well 1 might help, haha. It's easy to think that God has 1 person picked out for you. Lately I'm beginning to wonder. Ultimately, we know that the Lord knows who we will marry, He is sovereign, He knows everything! But I think now that He has given us some freedom. There are many people we could just settle down with and probably be happy. Is there that one person? Or do we really have choices in the matter? All in all, you want someone that brings out the best things in you, and you want to do the switch for your mate. It's a team, you build each other up right? When God made Eve, He made her to be "complimentary" to Adam. A "helper." It's so neat that marriage was God's idea. Sex was God's idea. And bringing animals to Adam right after God says, "It's not cool for you to be alone, i will bring you a helper." God then brings animals! Hilarious! They weren't cool enough, so He made Eve! Woo Hoo!

No comments: