Friday, August 13, 2004

Blue Like Jazz

Yeah that's it. Blue like Jazz. I just read a really interesting book called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. If you had to put it into a category in Barnes & Noble, I don't really know of one that would be appropriate. But don't just take my word for it...I really sound like Reading Rainbow reincarnated. I apologize. I do/did like Levar Burton. Mainly the one where he goes to the honeybee farm. Man!

Back to the book, Donald Miller writes just about as random as I can imagine but keeps you glued to the pages. It's a fairly easy read, and I don't read fast. He is very honest, real, and he shoots straight from the hip.

One part in the book, he discusses how people think he is on top of things because he is a writer and speaker. People assume that because he does those things, he does not have problems and his life is clean as well, whatever you know of as clean.

This book forced me to look at myself and who I really am and the stupid things I do. Some of the things I do, well I don't know why I do them, maybe I see other people, I'm reduced to a monkey. I feel like most of my life I'm trying to catch up to the image that some people think I already am. I just want to be myself without all the politics of this and that. I want to read books because I want to read them, not because it's some new things sweeping the nation. I don't even read much anyway. I also learned that everything boils down to sin. All problems in this messed up world go back to sin. If you look at any problem you have, trail it back, follow the lil marks in your life, you'll be led back to sin. I wish I hated sin and I wish I understood that everytime I sin, I trample Jesus under my foot. Here is the verse.

No comments: