Sunday, October 01, 2006

speakeasy

You know what's reallly neat? God gave us tastebuds.  He could have just given us food and we could have just eaten for nourishment, but He chose to go the extra step and give us a sense of taste.  I love that this wasn't an accident of evolution but a conscious thought of our creator who loves us and wants good things.

I hate to be childish, but I saw someone eat a booger today.  I am 90% sure that he did it.  I was just sitting and being my natural people watcher self I noticed this incident.  First, I am not a germ-o-phobe, but I don't like to drink after people and I know all the people I work with and whether they wash their hands or not in the restroom :)  Well I saw this guy today, he was digging in his nose pretty good.  It wasn't just a rub because it was itching, it was a full fledge nose pick.  I am grossed out by this, not because I don't pick my own nose, but because this man is picking his violenty and in public.  I have another friend who also picks his nose in public and his wife hates it, not to mention any names.  Well right after this guy picks his nose, he starts touching things that I know other people will touch.  Well, then he goes back in for a 2nd time, but this time, he immediately does a KFC finger licking roll.  I am not kidding you.  His finger went straight from his nose to not only one finger in his mouth, but he put at least 3 of them in there in sort of a rolling pattern.  I ALMOST vomited right there, okay, not really, but I was pretty grossed out.  I realized that I am too self-conscious, because even I know when I rub my nose and I am very aware that I don't want it to look like I'm picking it.  I don't know if this guy realized his finger went from the nose to mouth, but I did.

In other news, I have found myself lately thinking about eternity more.  I feel like I analyze things too much, as noted in this blog, but on a serious note, I realized something in the past week.  It wasn't anything new, just a reminder.  I was talking to a co-worker about life.  I told him that life, our time here, is really only a dot on the map of the grand scheme.  We are here in this life, and to us, it seems that this is it, this is our big focus.  But in the grand scheme of our creator, this is only a blinking of an eye.  I am realizing that the only thing that matters is that the things I do will either influence eternity or not, and really, all things effect eternity.  I find time just passing and me not changing the way I know I should.  I have this thought that I'm going to wake up 30 years from now and be like, what the crap, I've wasted it. 

I talked with a guy at church today who was in his 60's.  He told me that looking back, he wished he could have done something he was passionate about.  He said that most people spend their life doing a job because it's the right thing to do, but they don't really feel passionate about it.  He told me that the greatest thing is when you can find something you are passionate about.  I have passed this guy numerous times and only remembered him as the guy who never remembered my name.  When I actually took the time to talk to him, I found that he had a lot of knowledge and was really encouraging to talk to.  Now, I know his name. 

As Todd Friel would say, Go Serve Your King.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

Good stuff. Well not the nose-pickin stuff, but the rest of it. ;) I miss you JT.