Saturday, August 26, 2006

Lick the Bowl

Psalm 51:17 (New International Version)

17 The sacrifices of God are [a] a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

I know I have talked about this verse before, but I really do think it's one of my favorite verses. It seems that we (Christians) always have this tendency to go away from brokenness. It's tough to stay broken spiritually before the Lord when all is good, the salary is nice, the house is comfortable, and you have a 401k. We just have these comfortable lives and is a blessing, but usually causes me to take Him for granted. My brother shared a story with me this past week that broke me down spiritually. It's so neat how God can use people close to us to do that. I'm just blown away by God's interaction in my life. I had just been thinking and telling my brother that the Lord was in the coincidences of life and that, well, they really weren't coincidences and if you want to call those little crazy things that happen, "coincidences" then...I say that He is also Lord of them. Okay, that was a run-on sentence. Forgive me. It seems that...in brokenness...it's like the ears of our heart have amplifiers on them and we can hear everything around us. Before, the Lord might have to scream for us to hear, but now, He can give a gentle whisper and we wake up. There are people in this life that live a life of brokenness and constantly are enamored with heartache. Our Lord was enamored, and we can know that He has been through anything and everything that we could ever think about going through. That's comforting. I just want to come to a place where telling people that "I love them" is fresh and sweet on my lips. It's not something that makes me feel uncomfortable or makes me feel weird. Lee Cunningham, whom I love, told me that he loved me as we left a party this weekend. That's brotherly love. People that care about each other w/o asking for anything in return. Jesus lived like that.

When I was a kid and my mom would make a cake. She would pour the batter out and then give me the bowl and mixer. Man, I am not going to lie, I would like this bowl until there was not an ounce of mix left. I would get my tongue between the mixer blades and get every last bit of it. It was sooo sweet. I am hoping that one day, I will seek the Lord and His Word with that intensity...well of course...w/o all the licking :)


No comments: