Sunday, August 20, 2006

Just sayin

You know, as I sit here and realize that the "f" key has come off of my keyboard, I also came to the conclusion that out of an entire day, this was the worst thing that happened to me. 

Today was the first "official" meeting of CrossPoint.  It was quite cool to have so many people in church and to see the entire football team and coach Bowden in church.  There was not enough room to sit, it was really cool.  We also had the start of our small groups which we are calling "connecting point" groups.  It was pretty neat to have them over to my house and get to know some of them.  I love having random people coming together, there is something that is electric in that.  The semi-awkwardness of it does it for me.  It looks like we have a very unique and awesome group of people and I'm excited to get to know them. 

So I just finished Rob Bell's newest book, "Velvet Elvis."  It was a really interesting read.  I would not consider it a very deep book but he does go through a lot of Jewish customs that will better help you to understand Jesus and the scriptures.  In one chapter of the book, he discussed coming to people and treating them with an agenda.  Do we group people in a "saved" and "not saved" category?  Do we love them based on what category they fit in?  He brings up the idea of service also.  How can we show people Christ?  By serving them, the gospel is good news for everyone is the point he makes.  If a woman in an apartment complex becomes a Christian, then this is good news for the entire apartment complex.  This woman should now be even more caring, giving, kind, and serve the people around her.  It makes sense.  I've been trying to get to know my neighbors.  I desire to serve them and want them to know Christ.  We have to give an account one day, I've been convicted lately that I haven't used everything I've been given.  Thank God that Jesus and the disciples didn't stay in the upper room, I'm glad they didn't post a sign, and invite people to come hear them.  I am glad they went out and found the lost people, reached them where they worked, and shared life with them.  I'm trying to really see Christianity in its purest form, the way Jesus showed it to us.  It's tough to read the book of Acts and not label them "super Christians."  They weren't super at all, that was "normal" Christianity.  Whew, I've got a long way to go. 

In other news, I have officially set-up a mini-recording studio in my closet.  Yes, I said, my closet.  I realized that it was the best place to set-up with the least amount of distractions.  When I just recorded in my room, I noticed that the mic would actually pick up the dog scratching herself, or well, maybe that was me, but anyway, I moved to the closet.  My first major personal project is to record the New Testament and eventually get it out on CD for you, my fine friends.  If you would like to record a few chapters for me, please email me and let me know.  It's been a great way to read through the scriptures and I hope it all works out! 

4 comments:

Ed said...

JT,
Come out of the closet!

Unknown said...

I've been waiting for JUST the right time.

Laura said...

That's awesome!! Sounds like you have a lot of exciting things going on. To be honest, reading your blogs inspires me to work harder in my faith! Awesome stuff! On another note, I'll be in Clemson Oct. 27-29 check you're calender so we can hang out!

stunningman said...

Hey man- I think we are living parallel lives right now. (for many reasons) Just finished the book myself. I also loved the part about our partnership with God in restoring the world we live in...