Tuesday, December 12, 2006

a little help please

I flew into Houston tonight and was reminded of how humid it is in Texas. As soon as you get out the airport, you feel like you just got out the shower. It's such a great feeling. I'll be working hard for a week and we will have fun.

I've realized something about myself. When I am away from my "normal" life, aka, being at home, something happens. I can't quite explain it, it's like all the distractions are gone and I can think a lot more clearly. I checked into my hotel tonight and realized that I haven't really studied the Bible in a long time. I sat here at the desk and came to the conclusion that I'm really complacent right now. It's crazy how sin can make you so clueless. I think I've really been clueless for at least a year in my spiritual growth. I think you get deceived because you still care about the things of God and showing people their way to Him, but you get comfortable. I realized that I never ask people to pray for me. I have always felt like it was a burden to ask people things like that and I've realized that I'm a prideful man. I am really tired of myself and tired of waiting for what's around the corner in my life. I feel like I am waiting for this ministry that is just going to appear and I'm going to get to travel around and teach people how to reach others for Christ. As I sit here, God is totally telling me that maybe I should just try with the place He has given me. Dang. It's really neat what happens when you read the Bible. You can take a prideful heart about 15 minutes ago and the Bible can chisel a few tears out of a man. I was reading tonight in Hebrews 2 that Jesus tasted death for us. He was made lower than angels for a time and He tasted death for me. I was shaving my entire face tonight and sometimes you accidentally pluck a hair, 1 hair, and man does it hurt. In Isaiah 50 it says that Jesus gave His back to be beaten, his beard to be plucked...what...his beard. He laid all of this down for us, He tasted death for our sins, He left his place on high, for a sinful man like me, he came to die. (I love that song).

So I say all that to say please pray for me. I struggle with focus and have a hard time settling down. I think God has me in a corporate job and a normal life for a season to teach me things. I am tired of being complacent and desire to change. Whew, I feel better.

1 comment:

ame said...

Seriously- EXACTLY what I have been learning...going beyond comfortable. Some uncomfortable influences right now: lyrics of Derek Webb, Shane Claiborne's book The Irresistible Revolution