Friday, January 06, 2006

a man and a woman

There was a man who got married about 5 years ago.  He remembered the day like it was yesterday.  All the people that were there, friends he had not seen in a long time, the food was excellent, music was great, and his bride looked more beautiful than he had ever seen her.  Since that day, he has never told one single person about her.  Not a co-worker, not a friend, and especially not his family members.  He never shares stories about her and the things she has done for him.  He never talks about all of her great qualities or any of the things he likes about her.  What do you think of this man?  Do you think he really cares about her?  Does he love his wife?

I was thinking yesterday about being more intentional in my conversations and my life.  For most of the past years I have been very confrontational with my faith and super outgoing.  Recently, I have allowed myself to be a lil more passive and this is not right.  I don't care anymore about trying to argue theology of who is chosen and who is not.  I am going to spend my time encouraging people to live out the command of telling your neighbor, family, friend, or enemy about Jesus.  The command is the one thing we do know w/o a shadow of doubt.  Go and make disciples.  Spend your time telling the good news.  The incredible thing about the Lord is that everyday is a new one.  We don't have to wait until the New Year to change things around.  We don't have to spend another year worrying about what happened last year.  We are new creations if we are in Christ.  Our life is hidden in His.  I don't know of a better resting place.  If you have spent most of your life like the man in the story above, today is a new day.  I like new days.

I also like a full tank of gas.  I like my roomies too.  I also like cops who cut tickets in half.  They make me happy.

13 comments:

erin said...

and i like simplicity. the bible can be so completely complex and beyond what our brains can grasp..which frustrates us and causes us to not share our faith. but i love how above all it is simple. sharing the good news is a simple command, a powerfully simple one. thanks for that reminder:)

Laura said...

Jt- you had emailed me a web site about mormonism. Do you remember it?

Vanessa said...

Great reminder! I saw Way of the Master (I think that was what it was called) and it really convicted me of the same.

SANDY GIBBES said...

I like you too roomie.

michael sapp said...

Great post JT. even for us in ministry it can be made way too difficult. It becomes easy to forget the joy and contentment found alone in Christ and the command to give this away to all. Great reminder!!

Cami said...

That's a really good analogy. Convicting.

I like the picture of sleeping beauty on Chris Moody's blog. Ha! :)

Unknown said...

Cami,

Chris shall get my revenge!

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

true reminder. i think it's easy to sink into the idea that "misery loves company..." but..don't you think maybe...a positive attitude could do the same?

p.s. you have 8 comments and only responded to one. hmmm.

Jason said...

Awesome....Whitley gets a point for calling you out, and Moody gets a point for invoking a sweet (and nauseating) comment. Oh yeah, great post.

Unknown said...

i don't get either...i'm a lil behind

Anonymous said...

hey justin! wow, i love this. so powerful. thank you for sharing!

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

jt--you don't get it...oh...you are SO frontin'

jason..thanks for the props!

ps. JT--I have a new roommate..Nikki Rochester, she came with April Grant to the New Years Eve Oyster Roast at Canterbury...I am way excited...what a small world!

Unknown said...

Haha, I know Nikki...she's a cool chica...you are blessed among women to have her in your midst